In our three generations of caring for our customer’s furry loved ones, we understand that nothing causes the customer more anxiety or fret than the prospect of leaving their beloved dogs and cats in the hands of another for an extended stay. It’s an anxious moment at best. It is important to remember most of these furry friends are house pets and are accustomed to everything in their life being taken care of by you. Their exercise, eating habits, friends, environment, and play activities. So when Mom and Dad embark for an extended period of time, anything beyond a single night really, it can be taxing. On both the pet and the owner.
At Toureen we’ve been doing this for a long, long, time. We have many experiences to share that we’ve learned over the years. We hope these suggestions will help you think of possibilities that may not have entered your mind before, and in turn, will help us care for your pet in a better, more loving way. After all, that’s our job.
If there is anything you should be looking for in a place to Board your fluffy friend it’s giving them quality care and giving you peace of mind.
Let’s start at the beginning. Your pet depends on you to take good care of him/her, every day, 24X7. Friends, neighbors and relatives may help out from time to time, but it is always you that your pet depends on. Importantly, when you can’t be there to look after your pet, particularly for an extended time, you should make sure their care is left in the hands of a professional.
Think of leaving your pet behind as a fun time for him/her. A time where they can relax and view your separation as a kind of “vacation”. That’s how we treat your pets at Toureen.
Our philosophy is to keep your loved one both pampered and entertained. This could be outdoors, personal playtime, in the spa or in supervised playgroups with animals of the same disposition and size and attitude. It’s also essential that before fun, your pet’s health and safety is a priority and always comes first. In any Boarding alternative that you consider, this should be true. For example, all Toureen pens are made of sturdy pet-proof materials and simple, easy-to-clean epoxy floors. Surfaces and bedding are washed, cleaned and disinfected daily. Your pet is provided with a specialized, premium science diet or of course, you can bring your own food. And critically, your pet has access to water all of the time.
No matter what activities and special services you select for your pet, they each get daily exercise and they sleep in a clean, spacious and well-ventilated area. Heating and cooling is provided on a highly personalized and seasonal basis for your pets personal comfort.
Here at Toureen, we hope to earn the pleasure and responsibility of caring for your pet each and every day during more routine care. But as you contemplate longer, more Boarding type of care, here are some suggestions you should consider as you evaluate the alternatives.
How to find a Good Pet Boarding Facility:
Ask a friend, neighbor, veterinarian, animal shelter, or dog trainer for a recommendation. You can also check the Yellow Pages under “Kennels & Pet Boarding.” Once you have names, it’s important to do a little background check.
Find out whether your state requires boarding facility inspections. If it does, make sure the facility you are considering displays a license or certificate showing that the facility meets mandated standards.
After selecting a few boarding facilities, confirm that they can accommodate your pet for specific dates and can address your pet’s special needs (if any). If you’re satisfied, schedule a visit.
A facility that provides high quality Boarding services will:
- Help you avoid the stress of a long car or airplane ride to your destination.
- Allow your pet to stay where he/she’s welcome.
- Help your pet to receive more attention and supervision than he would if left home alone most of the day.
- Regularly monitor your pet with a staff that is trained to spot health problems.
- Keep your pet in a secure facility designed to foil canine and feline escape artists.
What to look for in a Pet Boarding Facility:
On your visit, ask to see all the places your pet may be taken. Pay particular attention to the following:
- Does the facility look and smell clean?
- Is there sufficient ventilation and light?
- Is a comfortable temperature maintained?
- Does the staff seem knowledgeable and caring?
- Are pets required to be current on their vaccinations, including the vaccine for canine kennel cough (Bordetella)? (Such a requirement helps protect your animal and others.)
- Does each dog have his own adequately sized indoor-outdoor run or an indoor run and a schedule for exercise?
- Are outdoor runs and exercise areas protected from wind, rain, and snow?
- Are resting boards and bedding provided to allow dogs to rest off the concrete floor?
- Are cats housed away from dogs?
- Is there enough space for cats to move around comfortably?
- Is there enough space between the litter box and food bowls?
- How often are pets fed?
- Can the owner bring a pet’s special food?
- What veterinary services are available?
- Are other services available such as grooming, training, bathing?
- How are rates calculated?
Come visit Toureen, explore our facility and talk to our staff. Ask us all the questions itemized above and put us to the “test”. We’ll proudly receive high grades!
Boarding is a big step for you. We know it and understand it. At Toureen we’ve been Boarding family pets for a long, long, time. We’d love to have your Furry Friend pay us an extended visit soon! Our commitment to you is to provide exceptional care delivered with love and affection.
We promise that both you and your pet will be back.